I’ve been feeling a bit run-down lately. With the flu that’s been going around the country, it’s no wonder the flu shot I got a few weeks ago isn’t helping. Time to convalesce with some homemade vegetable soup.
I’ve been wanting to start my photo-a-day project. What better way to begin than with a picture of food? Here we go…
Ingredients: 1 sweet onion chopped, 1 head of broccoli (florets needed), 2 green onions (cut into 2 inches), 1/2 package of tofu (cut into small cubes), 2 handfuls of fresh spinach, 2 Tbsp cooking oil, kosher salt, water.
- In a dutch oven, heat cooking oil on medium.
- When the oil is semi-hot, add sweet onions. Cook and stir until slightly golden and transparent. Keep stirring.
- Add green onions. Add a few dashes of black pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes more. Stir every once in a while.
- Add broccoli florets to the onion mixture.
- Add water up to 3/4 of the volume of the dutch oven.
- Cook soup on medium heat until it boils.
- It’s time to add salt to taste. Begin by adding 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir the soup. Then taste the soup. If the soup isn’t yet to your liking in terms of saltiness, add another 1/2 tsp. Again, taste the soup. Rinse and repeat. A little salt goes a long way, but not enough salt results in a bland soup. I added 1 to 1-1/2 tsp of salt.
- Once you have the taste of the broth to your liking, add the tofu to the soup. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Then add the spinach. Cook another 3-5 min. The soup is ready when it’s close to boiling.
- Serve in a bowl and finish with black pepper. I added a slice of jalapeno pepper for some extra kick.
Photo © Sophia Quach.